Friday, August 21, 2026
Subscribe
The Brief | Namibia's Leading Business & Financial News
  • Home
  • Companies
    • Finance
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Property
    • Trade
    • Tourism
  • Business & Economy
  • E-PAPERreader
  • Mining & Energy
  • Opinions
    • Analysis
    • Columnists
  • Africa
No Result
View All Result
The Brief | Namibia's Leading Business & Financial News
  • Home
  • Companies
    • Finance
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Property
    • Trade
    • Tourism
  • Business & Economy
  • E-PAPERreader
  • Mining & Energy
  • Opinions
    • Analysis
    • Columnists
  • Africa
No Result
View All Result
The Brief | Namibia's Leading Business & Financial News
Subscribe
No Result
View All Result
Home Latest

Mediclinic board backs new takeover offer from Remgro, MSC

by editor
July 8, 2022
in Latest
5
A A

After rejecting three cash offers from Remgro and MSC in recent weeks, Mediclinic’s board says it will support the fourth.

Mediclinic received and rejected the first offer – for 463 pence (R89, at the time) – from the parties a month ago. Since then, Remgro and MSC submitted three further offers.

 

Two of these bids have been rejected. But on Wednesday, the parties made a new offer of 504 pence (R101) per share (minus Mediclinic’s final dividend for this current year).

The latest bid offers a premium of 35% to the Mediclinic share price before the first offer was made, Mediclinic’s independent board said in a statement.

“The independent board remains confident in Mediclinic’s strategic direction and long-term prospects as the group positions itself as an integrated healthcare partner, harnessing data, technology and innovation to facilitate growth across the continuum of care, supported by leading market positions. However, having weighed all relevant factors, including the current macro-economic conditions, the independent board is of the view that the near-term value realisation of the latest proposal provides Mediclinic’s shareholders an attractive alternative to the group continuing as an independent company,” it said in a statement.

The board said it would recommend shareholders accept the bid, if a final offer is made. 

By lunchtime, Mediclinic’s share price was up 9% to R95.24.

It will now progress with talks and allow Remgro and MSC access to do due dilligence.

Remgro and MSC must make a firm offer for Mediclinic by 4 August. Remgro and MSC are equal partners in the consortium that wants to take control of Mediclinic. Remgro already owns 44.6% of Mediclinic. MSC is an international shipping group and a privately held company owned by the Italian Aponte family.

MSC’s head office is in Switzerland, where Mediclinic owns the largest private hospital group, Hirslanden. Remgro chairperson Johann Rupert also has a home in Switzerland, where his Richemont group is headquartered.

Mediclinic was founded in 1984 after the Rembrandt Group (now Remgro) commissioned Edwin Hertzog to investigate the launch of a private hospital group. It has been listed on the JSE since 1986.

Remgro already owns nearly 45% of Mediclinic, according to data compiled by Bloomberg. There’s no certainty the investor group will proceed with a takeover, and the negotiations could still fall apart at the last minute, the people said. 

Representatives for the consortium and Mediclinic declined to comment. 

Johann Rupert is South Africa’s richest person with a net worth of about $8.7 billion, according to the Bloomberg Billionaires Index. Through a family trust, he controls Richemont, the Swiss luxury-goods company behind brands like Cartier, Montblanc and Vacheron Constantin.

Mediclinic is a diversified international private healthcare services group, established in South Africa in 1983, with divisions in Switzerland, Southern Africa (South Africa and Namibia) and the Middle East.-Fin24

author avatar
editor
See Full Bio
Previous Post

GIPF open to increasing MTC stake

Next Post

Choosing the right agent – deal with a registered agent.

Must Read

Bright yellow license plates with large black numbers stacked diagonally in the frame, overlapping each other.
Latest

Govt plans new national standard for vehicle number plates

August 20, 2026
Straight highway through a desert landscape under a blue sky with a few clouds.
Latest

Roads Authority targets N$2.1bn upgrade of nine Oshana roads

August 20, 2026
Smiling woman with a black top and gold jewelry against a dark blue studio backdrop.
Latest

The bankability bridge: Turning Namibia’s economic potential into SME participation

August 18, 2026
Construction workers in high-visibility vests along a dirt road under construction beside a busy highway; muddy tire tracks, piles of soil, and distant hills.
Latest

Auas Road Phase 3 kicks off, targets major expansion over next 12 months

August 18, 2026
Construction-site fence with a Namibian Competition Commission banner in front of a modern brick building; street signs show Marien Ngouabi St and Wisserstraat.
Latest

Namibia’s merger rules out of step with regional peers despite proposed increase

August 17, 2026
Why Namibia urgently needs consumer protection laws on home auctions
Latest

Blood is no longer thicker than water

August 14, 2026
Load More

Related News

Menzies insists on 12-month notice amid airport dispute

Menzies insists on 12-month notice amid airport dispute

August 19, 2023
Karuaihe-Martin launches female leadership programme

Karuaihe-Martin launches female leadership programme

October 27, 2023
Namibia targeted in Saudi US$15bn mining stakes acquisition

Namibia targeted in Saudi US$15bn mining stakes acquisition

September 12, 2023

Browse by Category

  • Africa
  • Agriculture
  • Analysis
  • Business & Economy
  • Columnists
  • Companies
  • Finance
  • Finance
  • Fisheries
  • Green Hydrogen
  • Health
  • Investing
  • Latest
  • Market
  • Mining & Energy
  • Namibia
  • namibia
  • News
  • Opinions
  • Property
  • Retail
  • Technology
  • Tourism
  • Trade
The Brief | Namibia's Leading Business & Financial News

The Brief is Namibia's leading daily business, finance and economic news publication.

CATEGORIES

  • Business & Economy
  • Companies
    • Agriculture
    • Finance
    • Fisheries
    • Health
    • Property
    • Retail
    • Technology
    • Tourism
    • Trade
  • Finance
  • Green Hydrogen
  • Investing
  • Latest
  • Market
  • Mining & Energy
  • namibia
  • News
    • Africa
    • Namibia
  • Opinions
    • Analysis
    • Columnists

CONTACT US

Cell: +264814612969

Email: newsdesk@thebrief.com.na

© 2026 The Brief | All Rights Reserved. Namibian Business News, Current Affairs, Analysis and Commentary

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Companies
  • Mining & Energy
  • Business & Economy
  • Opinions
    • Analysis
    • Columnists
  • Africa

© 2026 The Brief | All Rights Reserved. Namibian Business News, Current Affairs, Analysis and Commentary

This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.