Friday, August 21, 2026
Subscribe
The Brief | Namibia's Leading Business & Financial News
  • Home
  • Companies
    • Finance
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Property
    • Trade
    • Tourism
  • Business & Economy
  • E-PAPERreader
  • Mining & Energy
  • Opinions
    • Analysis
    • Columnists
  • Africa
No Result
View All Result
The Brief | Namibia's Leading Business & Financial News
  • Home
  • Companies
    • Finance
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Property
    • Trade
    • Tourism
  • Business & Economy
  • E-PAPERreader
  • Mining & Energy
  • Opinions
    • Analysis
    • Columnists
  • Africa
No Result
View All Result
The Brief | Namibia's Leading Business & Financial News
Subscribe
No Result
View All Result
Home Companies Property

Windhoek approves 928 building plans worth N$921.9 million in H1 

by editor
July 17, 2024
in Property
175
A A

The City of Windhoek approved 928 building plans during the first half of the year with a total value of N$921.9 million, marking a 1.4% increase in number and a 30.0% increase in value compared to the same period in 2023.

IJG Securities reports that on a twelve-month cumulative basis, there has been a 16.3% decrease in the number of approvals and a marginal 0.1% decrease in value compared to the equivalent period from a year ago.

Additionally, 98 building plans, valued at N$50.5 million, were completed in the month. In June, the city approved a total of 149 building plans, a decrease of 20.7% from the 188 approvals in May. 

The total value of June’s approvals amounted to N$109.0 million, which is 42.3% lower than May’s approvals.

Meanwhile, Windhoek’s twelve-month cumulative number and value of residential approvals have been hovering above 330 units and N$630.0 million for the past few months, with 334 units valued at N$633.6 million approved by the end of June.

IJG Securities reveals that this is however 40.7% y/y lower in number terms, but 1.1% more in value terms when compared to the corresponding 12-month period a year ago.

“During the first six months of 2024, 169 residential building plans, worth N$402.9 million have been approved. This is 17.6% lower in number terms when compared to the same point last year, but 72.9% more in value terms,” the firm noted.

In June 2024, approvals were granted for a total of 26 residential units valued at N$51.1 million, which is nine units lesser than the previous month and represents a decrease of N$7.52 million in total value.

“32 residential units worth N$32.8 million were completed during the month, slightly more than the monthly average of 24 witnessed for the year thus far,” said IJG. Simonis Storm Securities said building activities in Swakopmund picked up in the second quarter of 2024, with 179 approvals valued at N$161.5 million and 230 completed building projects valued at N$114.4 million.

Consequently, the total number of approved plans for the first half of 2024 reached 311, up from 283 in 1H2023, while completed plans increased to 294 from 197 in 1H2023.

Simonis Storm Junior Economist Halleluya Ndimulunde said that most of the approved building plans in both Windhoek and Swakopmund predominantly focused on the residential segment of the market.

“In Windhoek, the majority of the building plans are for additions (116), indicating a strong emphasis on expanding existing structures. This is followed by house construction (26), walls (14), and a smaller number of commercial projects (7) and pools (1),” she said. 

Ndimulunde noted that this distribution suggests a trend towards enhancing and enlarging current properties rather than initiating new builds.

Meanwhile, in Swakopmund, residential projects dominate the new building plans with 56 approvals, highlighting significant growth in housing. 

“This is followed by commercial buildings (5) and institutions (4), with minimal activity in the industrial sector (1). This indicates that the primary focus in Swakopmund is on residential development, possibly driven by increasing demand for housing,” she said. 

She noted that the data indicates key insights, despite fewer new construction proposals, an increased number of approved building plans suggests a higher approval rate, possibly due to improved processes or greater developer confidence. 

“Windhoek’s emphasis on property expansions reflects a mature market strategy, enhancing existing structures in response to urban renewal or modern demands. In contrast, Swakopmund’s focus on new residential constructions highlights a growing housing market driven by economic and population growth, addressing shortages and planning for future development,” she said.

author avatar
editor
See Full Bio
Previous Post

WFP allocates N$100m to support Namibia’s food security efforts

Next Post

Namibia revokes visa exemptions for New Zealand, Denmark

Must Read

Windhoek approves N$1.7 billion building plans in six months
Property

Real estate, retail dominate Namibia’s merger activity over past 16 years

August 20, 2026
Windhoek approves 186 building plans worth N$486.5m in October
Property

Windhoek building plan approvals rise to N$203.2m in July

August 19, 2026
Lawmakers call for NIDA’s reintegration into Ministry
Property

Govt yet to approve transfer of 56 NIDA properties to PAMA

August 18, 2026
Exterior view of Buchter Mall with modern curved entrances, palm trees, and a clear blue sky; parking lot in foreground.
Property

Safland’s Lüderitz mall targets October 2027 opening with Shoprite as anchor tenant

August 14, 2026
Group of eight people on a stage holding certificates at an awards event, smiling for the camera.
Latest

FNB honours Namibia’s leading real estate agencies and realtors

August 14, 2026
Red and white 'For Sale' sign on a white post in front of a modern house with a concrete driveway.
Property

Namibia’s average house price hits N$1.46 million

August 14, 2026
Load More

Related News

Silvester Wayiti appointed HopSol Africa CEO

Silvester Wayiti appointed HopSol Africa CEO

April 4, 2023
Barloworld to delist from NSX

Barloworld to delist from NSX

December 17, 2021
Ster Kinekor buyout plan approved

Ster Kinekor buyout plan approved

March 11, 2022

Browse by Category

  • Africa
  • Agriculture
  • Analysis
  • Business & Economy
  • Columnists
  • Companies
  • Finance
  • Finance
  • Fisheries
  • Green Hydrogen
  • Health
  • Investing
  • Latest
  • Market
  • Mining & Energy
  • namibia
  • Namibia
  • News
  • Opinions
  • Property
  • Retail
  • Technology
  • Tourism
  • Trade
The Brief | Namibia's Leading Business & Financial News

The Brief is Namibia's leading daily business, finance and economic news publication.

CATEGORIES

  • Business & Economy
  • Companies
    • Agriculture
    • Finance
    • Fisheries
    • Health
    • Property
    • Retail
    • Technology
    • Tourism
    • Trade
  • Finance
  • Green Hydrogen
  • Investing
  • Latest
  • Market
  • Mining & Energy
  • namibia
  • News
    • Africa
    • Namibia
  • Opinions
    • Analysis
    • Columnists

CONTACT US

Cell: +264814612969

Email: newsdesk@thebrief.com.na

© 2026 The Brief | All Rights Reserved. Namibian Business News, Current Affairs, Analysis and Commentary

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Companies
  • Mining & Energy
  • Business & Economy
  • Opinions
    • Analysis
    • Columnists
  • Africa

© 2026 The Brief | All Rights Reserved. Namibian Business News, Current Affairs, Analysis and Commentary

This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.