Friday, August 21, 2026
Subscribe
The Brief | Namibia's Leading Business & Financial News
  • Home
  • Companies
    • Finance
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Property
    • Trade
    • Tourism
  • Business & Economy
  • E-PAPERreader
  • Mining & Energy
  • Opinions
    • Analysis
    • Columnists
  • Africa
No Result
View All Result
The Brief | Namibia's Leading Business & Financial News
  • Home
  • Companies
    • Finance
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Property
    • Trade
    • Tourism
  • Business & Economy
  • E-PAPERreader
  • Mining & Energy
  • Opinions
    • Analysis
    • Columnists
  • Africa
No Result
View All Result
The Brief | Namibia's Leading Business & Financial News
Subscribe
No Result
View All Result
Home Latest

Tongaat Hulett abandons planned R5bn rights offer

by editor
June 27, 2022
in Latest
6
A A

The decision by JSE-listed Tongaat Hulett to terminate an underwriting agreement of up to R2 billion with Magister Investments, for its planned R5 billion rights issue to reduce the company’s massive debt, has been welcomed.

Analyst and shareholder activist David Woollam has welcomed the Tongaat board’s decision.

“We always argued that a rights issue of this magnitude, based on unaudited results and an extremely weak share price, wasn’t a fair or optimal solution,” he said this weekend.

“At a secondary level, allowing an unknown entity [Magister] to gain control of the company through a heavily discounted rights offer was prejudicial to shareholders,” he said.

Shareholder activist Chris Logan said the termination of the planned rights issue is “very positive”.

“The banks have been shown to be paper tigers. They are not going to pull the plug on Tongaat; they keep extending and, given the apparent legitimacy of this Mozambique approach, there is value to be unlocked,” he said.

This is a reference to reports that US-based Lusitania Investment Capital had made an offer of about $220 million for Tongaat’s sugar operations in Mozambique, but Tongaat was unable to enter into negotiations because of the rights offer process.

Tongaat announced the termination of the underwriting agreement with Magister on Friday, highlighting that it was subject to the fulfilment of certain conditions precedent on or before 30 June and it does not anticipate these conditions will be fulfilled on or prior to that date.

The ‘real reason’

However, Logan said that date could be and is often extended, adding the real reason Tongaat is not proceeding with the rights offer and underwriting agreement is because this transaction had been effectively struck down by the Takeover Regulation Panel (TRP) and that decision is not being appealed.

Logan said Tongaat has not denied the offer for its Mozambique operation and, from the price mentioned, Tongaat would be realising full value for an operation that does not make much profit.

Restructuring

Tongaat on Friday also announced the establishment of a restructuring committee and the appointment of non-executive director Piers Marsden as chief restructuring officer to intensify focus on the turnaround of the company due to the delay in implementing the rights offer.

The company said the primary responsibility of Marsden and the restructuring committee will be to further focus on developing solutions to reduce and repay debt to sustainable levels while improving the liquidity of the company.

It said Marsden’s appointment will also provide Tongaat executives with additional capacity to focus on strategic progress, operational issues and the day-to-day demands of managing the group to deliver future value to all stakeholders.

Tongaat Hulett CEO Gavin Hudson said they have taken some very important steps to secure the future of the company in light of the Magister development and the delay in the rights offer requires them to bring in extra resources to further accelerate their restructuring plans.

Hudson said the lender group remains supportive of Tongaat and the company is currently engaging with them and other parties to provide liquidity, which will provide them with additional time as they work to progress a comprehensive restructuring solution.

“The chief restructuring officer we have appointed has a strong track record in turning around and restructuring companies for sustainable growth and we have a clear intent to move forward,” he said.

Open to options

Logan believes Tongaat is no longer categoric about a capital raise and is opening the door to other options.

He said the potential sale of the Mozambique operation “could be a game-changer” in terms of the price mentioned and would remove the need for a rights issue.

However, Tongaat on Friday repeated that it remains firmly of the view that a capital raise is a better alternative to strategic asset disposals, particularly an accelerated disposal programme which is unlikely to realise full value for the assets.

Redress

Logan said there is still Tongaat’s claim against auditor Deloitte that he believes is “well north of R1 billion”.

Tongaat reported in February that six former company executives – Peter Staude, Murray Munro, Michael Deighton, Rory Wilkinson, Kamlasagrie Singh and Samantha Shukla – and Deloitte audit partner on the Tongaat Hulett audit Gavin Kruger had appeared in the Durban commercial crime court in relation to fraud charges and were all granted bail.

The charges stemmed from alleged fraudulent activity between March 2015 and September 2018 related to the alleged backdating of land sale agreements, which had a significant impact on the company’s financial results and led to a loss of value to shareholders.

In separate proceedings, Tongaat Hulett Developments, a subsidiary of the group, instituted a civil case in the Pietermaritzburg High Court in February 2020 against the former MD Michael Deighton.-moneyweb

author avatar
editor
See Full Bio
Previous Post

Shiimi rules out retrenchments to meet civil servants wage demands

Next Post

Johan Maass appointed Capricorn Group CFO

Must Read

Bright yellow license plates with large black numbers stacked diagonally in the frame, overlapping each other.
Latest

Govt plans new national standard for vehicle number plates

August 20, 2026
Straight highway through a desert landscape under a blue sky with a few clouds.
Latest

Roads Authority targets N$2.1bn upgrade of nine Oshana roads

August 20, 2026
Smiling woman with a black top and gold jewelry against a dark blue studio backdrop.
Latest

The bankability bridge: Turning Namibia’s economic potential into SME participation

August 18, 2026
Construction workers in high-visibility vests along a dirt road under construction beside a busy highway; muddy tire tracks, piles of soil, and distant hills.
Latest

Auas Road Phase 3 kicks off, targets major expansion over next 12 months

August 18, 2026
Construction-site fence with a Namibian Competition Commission banner in front of a modern brick building; street signs show Marien Ngouabi St and Wisserstraat.
Latest

Namibia’s merger rules out of step with regional peers despite proposed increase

August 17, 2026
Why Namibia urgently needs consumer protection laws on home auctions
Latest

Blood is no longer thicker than water

August 14, 2026
Load More

Related News

29 jobs in South Africa that pay R2 million or more a year

29 jobs in South Africa that pay R2 million or more a year

December 6, 2022
Steenkamp new Windhoek Economic Development Executive

Steenkamp new Windhoek Economic Development Executive

November 21, 2022
EU replaces travel ban on Namibia with testing requirements

EU replaces travel ban on Namibia with testing requirements

January 10, 2022

Browse by Category

  • Africa
  • Agriculture
  • Analysis
  • Business & Economy
  • Columnists
  • Companies
  • Finance
  • Finance
  • Fisheries
  • Green Hydrogen
  • Health
  • Investing
  • Latest
  • Market
  • Mining & Energy
  • Namibia
  • namibia
  • News
  • Opinions
  • Property
  • Retail
  • Technology
  • Tourism
  • Trade
The Brief | Namibia's Leading Business & Financial News

The Brief is Namibia's leading daily business, finance and economic news publication.

CATEGORIES

  • Business & Economy
  • Companies
    • Agriculture
    • Finance
    • Fisheries
    • Health
    • Property
    • Retail
    • Technology
    • Tourism
    • Trade
  • Finance
  • Green Hydrogen
  • Investing
  • Latest
  • Market
  • Mining & Energy
  • namibia
  • News
    • Africa
    • Namibia
  • Opinions
    • Analysis
    • Columnists

CONTACT US

Cell: +264814612969

Email: newsdesk@thebrief.com.na

© 2026 The Brief | All Rights Reserved. Namibian Business News, Current Affairs, Analysis and Commentary

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Companies
  • Mining & Energy
  • Business & Economy
  • Opinions
    • Analysis
    • Columnists
  • Africa

© 2026 The Brief | All Rights Reserved. Namibian Business News, Current Affairs, Analysis and Commentary

This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.