Friday, August 21, 2026
Subscribe
The Brief | Namibia's Leading Business & Financial News
  • Home
  • Companies
    • Finance
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Property
    • Trade
    • Tourism
  • Business & Economy
  • E-PAPERreader
  • Mining & Energy
  • Opinions
    • Analysis
    • Columnists
  • Africa
No Result
View All Result
The Brief | Namibia's Leading Business & Financial News
  • Home
  • Companies
    • Finance
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Property
    • Trade
    • Tourism
  • Business & Economy
  • E-PAPERreader
  • Mining & Energy
  • Opinions
    • Analysis
    • Columnists
  • Africa
No Result
View All Result
The Brief | Namibia's Leading Business & Financial News
Subscribe
No Result
View All Result
Home Companies Technology

Minister meets Telecom leadership over network disruptions

by editor
February 10, 2022
in Technology
5
A A

Public Enterprises minister Leon Jooste has met with Telecom Namibia’s CEO and board over on-going network disruptions currently faced by the government owned telco.

This comes as the State-owned telecoms company has received a barrage of criticism from its customers over continued network challenges, a position which it has solely blamed on theft and vandalism of its infrastructure.

“We met with the Telecom CEO and Board and I have complete confidence in their ability to address the challenges that they are facing,” Jooste told The Brief.

In November last year, Telecom Namibia Chief Executive Officer (CEO), Stanley Shanapinda, informed The Brief that the company was planning to more than double its investment in network upgrades to over NS$350 million under its 2023 Integrated Strategic Business Plan (ISBP).

The ISBP, according to the company, is expected to be a game changer for the company, allowing it to resolve on-going network challenges and to introduce new capabilities.

“They are finalising their new Business plan and the CEO and his team are thoroughly committed to maintain the commercial and operational stability of the company. I have also amplified our continuous support and I am looking forward to significant improvements,” the Minister said.

The State-owned telecommunications company, has over the past few months invested over N$150 million towards infrastructure expansion according to figures provided to this publication.

On progress on the dismantling of Namibia Post and Telecom Holdings (NPTH), the holding company of Telecom Namibia Limited (Telecom), Namibia Post Limited (NamPost), with a controlling 60%  shareholder in listed Mobile Telecommunications Ltd (MTC), Jooste said the process was on going.

“The current NPTH Board will remain until the dismantling process is concluded,” he said.

On efficiency and governance concerns impacting the companies that currently fall under NPTH, he said “The dismantling of the NPTH is in fact a process that was prompted by the regulators a number of years ago already. It is therefore not a process that was initiated to improve the governance structure of the Public Enterprises that fall under the NPTH. Having said this, I have no concerns as these entities will simply be treated like all other Commercial Public Enterprises and the same governance principles will apply.”

This was after the Communications Regulatory Authority of Namibia (CRAN) had warned that the  government’s continued hold on the country’s Information and Communication Technologies (ICT) sector was impacting on competitiveness and growth due insufficient investment in last-mile connectivity, most notably mobile 4G broadband, low quality of service and potentially high end-user prices.

author avatar
editor
See Full Bio
Previous Post

Chip shortage to limit Namibia car sales in 2022

Next Post

Greater vaccine uptake to expedite Namibia’s economic recovery

Must Read

Group of graduates in navy gowns throwing their black mortarboards with gold tassels into the air against a blue sky
Technology

Namibia moves to prepare qualifications for oil, gas and AI skills demand

August 20, 2026
The AI dilemma: Walking the tightrope of innovation and humanity
Technology

Own the garage: Africa’s next AI leap is about what we control

August 20, 2026
Portrait of a woman with long wavy black hair, wearing a beige blazer and a silver pendant necklace, smiling softly against a dark gray backdrop.
Technology

The law is not just for lawyers

August 19, 2026
Two women in business attire shake hands while holding signed documents in front of a blue banner with a crest and motto.
Technology

Government targets 470 jobs through N$17.5m creative industries plan

August 18, 2026
Office of the Judiciary appoints MTC as cloud hosting partner
Technology

Office of the Judiciary appoints MTC as cloud hosting partner

November 27, 2025
When AI crashes the billboard party: A business beat worth watching
Technology

When AI crashes the billboard party: A business beat worth watching

November 27, 2025
Load More

Related News

Alibaba has lost R5 trillion in world’s biggest wipeout

Alibaba has lost R5 trillion in world’s biggest wipeout

October 25, 2021
UNDP expands UN House solar project

UNDP expands UN House solar project

June 29, 2023
NAMPORT plans N$4-billion Robert Harbour port expansion  

NAMPORT plans N$4-billion Robert Harbour port expansion  

August 22, 2024

Browse by Category

  • Africa
  • Agriculture
  • Analysis
  • Business & Economy
  • Columnists
  • Companies
  • Finance
  • Finance
  • Fisheries
  • Green Hydrogen
  • Health
  • Investing
  • Latest
  • Market
  • Mining & Energy
  • namibia
  • Namibia
  • News
  • Opinions
  • Property
  • Retail
  • Technology
  • Tourism
  • Trade
The Brief | Namibia's Leading Business & Financial News

The Brief is Namibia's leading daily business, finance and economic news publication.

CATEGORIES

  • Business & Economy
  • Companies
    • Agriculture
    • Finance
    • Fisheries
    • Health
    • Property
    • Retail
    • Technology
    • Tourism
    • Trade
  • Finance
  • Green Hydrogen
  • Investing
  • Latest
  • Market
  • Mining & Energy
  • namibia
  • News
    • Africa
    • Namibia
  • Opinions
    • Analysis
    • Columnists

CONTACT US

Cell: +264814612969

Email: newsdesk@thebrief.com.na

© 2026 The Brief | All Rights Reserved. Namibian Business News, Current Affairs, Analysis and Commentary

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Companies
  • Mining & Energy
  • Business & Economy
  • Opinions
    • Analysis
    • Columnists
  • Africa

© 2026 The Brief | All Rights Reserved. Namibian Business News, Current Affairs, Analysis and Commentary

This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.