Friday, August 21, 2026
Subscribe
The Brief | Namibia's Leading Business & Financial News
  • Home
  • Companies
    • Finance
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Property
    • Trade
    • Tourism
  • Business & Economy
  • E-PAPERreader
  • Mining & Energy
  • Opinions
    • Analysis
    • Columnists
  • Africa
No Result
View All Result
The Brief | Namibia's Leading Business & Financial News
  • Home
  • Companies
    • Finance
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Property
    • Trade
    • Tourism
  • Business & Economy
  • E-PAPERreader
  • Mining & Energy
  • Opinions
    • Analysis
    • Columnists
  • Africa
No Result
View All Result
The Brief | Namibia's Leading Business & Financial News
Subscribe
No Result
View All Result
Home Latest

Mango’s wings clipped as government refuses to provide bailout funds

by editor
November 19, 2021
in Latest
5
A A

Mango’s business rescue plan must be reworked to suit the South African Airways (SAA) and its ultimate shareholder, the department of public enterprises.

Business rescue practitioner of Opis Advisory, Sipho Sono, said this after the adjournment of a scheduled creditors meeting earlier this week.

The first rescue plan version, which included a proposed restart, is to be shelved as the government refuses to use bailout funds on Mango.

Sono said a restart might only be considered once an investor has been secured to buy Mango.

“The airline will be mothballed for a considerable period as the process of securing an investor will take some time,” he said.

“Accordingly, the amended plan will inevitably have to contemplate a greater number of employees being potentially affected by the restructuring than is the case in the current plan, that was published on October 29, 2021.”

It was agreed at the creditors’ meeting that affected parties will reconvene again in a fortnight after contemplating ditching a restart as part of Mango’s business rescue process.

It looks as though public funds will only be used to settle debt, not drive a going concern.

“This is ultimately a death blow for Mango,” said Wayne Duvenage of the Organisation Undoing Tax Abuse.

“Having gone from motivations to parliament that over R800 million of SAA’s bailout funds be allocated to Mango – because it was integral to SAA’s future plans – to now just a few months later be motivating to dispose of Mango and not using those funds to support its survival smacks of sheer confusion, incompetence and poor management.”

In the meantime, taxpayers wait for an update on the SAA/ Takatso deal announced in June.

The Democratic Alliance’s Alf Lees said Mango’s likely demise might play a role in the deal in which budget airline Lift’s founder Gidon Novick is heading the consortium’s charge in acquiring a majority shareholding in SAA.

“It seems clear Takatso do not want to take over any liabilities that would go along with the taxpayer gift of SAA to them.

“In addition, the Takatso consortium already has a low-cost carrier in its stable and clearly do not need another in the form of Mango. Thus, the need to get rid of Mango and its multibillion-rand liabilities before the gift of SAA to Takatso can be effected.”

Duvenage said there seems to be no clarity in the plans for Mango.

“If there was ever a time to launch an airline in SA it would be at the start of the summer season. That horse has now bolted for Mango.

“Sadly, it is the creditors and staff which suffer the brunt of such poor leadership decisions.”-moneyweb

author avatar
editor
See Full Bio
Previous Post

Rand slumps to new low this year after central bank’s dovish hike

Next Post

Govt rakes in N$900m from NPTH

Must Read

Bright yellow license plates with large black numbers stacked diagonally in the frame, overlapping each other.
Latest

Govt plans new national standard for vehicle number plates

August 20, 2026
Straight highway through a desert landscape under a blue sky with a few clouds.
Latest

Roads Authority targets N$2.1bn upgrade of nine Oshana roads

August 20, 2026
Smiling woman with a black top and gold jewelry against a dark blue studio backdrop.
Latest

The bankability bridge: Turning Namibia’s economic potential into SME participation

August 18, 2026
Construction workers in high-visibility vests along a dirt road under construction beside a busy highway; muddy tire tracks, piles of soil, and distant hills.
Latest

Auas Road Phase 3 kicks off, targets major expansion over next 12 months

August 18, 2026
Construction-site fence with a Namibian Competition Commission banner in front of a modern brick building; street signs show Marien Ngouabi St and Wisserstraat.
Latest

Namibia’s merger rules out of step with regional peers despite proposed increase

August 17, 2026
Why Namibia urgently needs consumer protection laws on home auctions
Latest

Blood is no longer thicker than water

August 14, 2026
Load More

Related News

At first glance, Namibia’s Mid-Year Budget Review reads like a story of calm seas and steady hands

The plateau is not the end. It is the pause before the next climb.

March 19, 2026
DBN expands SMEs support with launch of second loan recovery scheme

DBN expands SMEs support with launch of second loan recovery scheme

April 24, 2023
Namibia’s startup ecosystem climbs to 8th position in Africa 

Namibia’s startup ecosystem climbs to 8th position in Africa 

May 31, 2024

Browse by Category

  • Africa
  • Agriculture
  • Analysis
  • Business & Economy
  • Columnists
  • Companies
  • Finance
  • Finance
  • Fisheries
  • Green Hydrogen
  • Health
  • Investing
  • Latest
  • Market
  • Mining & Energy
  • Namibia
  • namibia
  • News
  • Opinions
  • Property
  • Retail
  • Technology
  • Tourism
  • Trade
The Brief | Namibia's Leading Business & Financial News

The Brief is Namibia's leading daily business, finance and economic news publication.

CATEGORIES

  • Business & Economy
  • Companies
    • Agriculture
    • Finance
    • Fisheries
    • Health
    • Property
    • Retail
    • Technology
    • Tourism
    • Trade
  • Finance
  • Green Hydrogen
  • Investing
  • Latest
  • Market
  • Mining & Energy
  • namibia
  • News
    • Africa
    • Namibia
  • Opinions
    • Analysis
    • Columnists

CONTACT US

Cell: +264814612969

Email: newsdesk@thebrief.com.na

© 2026 The Brief | All Rights Reserved. Namibian Business News, Current Affairs, Analysis and Commentary

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Companies
  • Mining & Energy
  • Business & Economy
  • Opinions
    • Analysis
    • Columnists
  • Africa

© 2026 The Brief | All Rights Reserved. Namibian Business News, Current Affairs, Analysis and Commentary

This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.