Friday, August 21, 2026
Subscribe
The Brief | Namibia's Leading Business & Financial News
  • Home
  • Companies
    • Finance
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Property
    • Trade
    • Tourism
  • Business & Economy
  • E-PAPERreader
  • Mining & Energy
  • Opinions
    • Analysis
    • Columnists
  • Africa
No Result
View All Result
The Brief | Namibia's Leading Business & Financial News
  • Home
  • Companies
    • Finance
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Property
    • Trade
    • Tourism
  • Business & Economy
  • E-PAPERreader
  • Mining & Energy
  • Opinions
    • Analysis
    • Columnists
  • Africa
No Result
View All Result
The Brief | Namibia's Leading Business & Financial News
Subscribe
No Result
View All Result
Home Latest

Musk revives US$44bn Twitter bid, aiming to avoid trial

by editor
October 5, 2022
in Latest
5
A A

Elon Musk revived a bid to buy for Twitter at the original price of $54.20 a share, backtracking on his effort to quit the deal and potentially avoiding a contentious courtroom fight.

Musk made the proposal in a letter to Twitter on Monday, according to a filing with the Securities and Exchange Commission that confirmed a Bloomberg report. Shares of Twitter climbed 22% to $52 at the close in New York. San Francisco-based Twitter said it received the letter and intends to close the deal at the agreed-upon price, without commenting specifically on how it will respond to Musk.

For Twitter, proceeding with Musk’s plan augurs a future under a mercurial billionaire who has spent months publicly criticising its management, questioning its value and changing his mind. It also means that his contested claims — that Twitter was lying about which percentage of users were bots, for instance — are not likely to be scrutinised in a court of law.

Musk had been trying for months to end his contract to acquire Twitter, signed in April. The billionaire began showing signs of buyer’s remorse shortly after the deal was announced, alleging that Twitter had misled him about the size of its user base and the prevalence of automated accounts known as bots.

Musk formally quit the accord in July and Twitter sued him in Delaware Chancery Court to force him to go forward with the purchase. A trial had been scheduled to begin October 17. The judge in Delaware on Tuesday asked both sides to come back to her with a proposal on how the case can now proceed. The options include having Twitter seek to dismiss the case or have her continue to retain jurisdiction until the deal closes, said a person familiar with the matter.

In the letter, Musk’s attorneys wrote that he and his supporters “intend to proceed to closing of the transaction contemplated by the April 25, 2022, merger agreement, on the terms and subject to the conditions set forth therein.” The plan is also contingent on him lining up the necessary debt financing and the court issuing “an immediate stay of the action.” It’s a tough time for banks to sell debt. With yields at multiyear highs, banks led by Morgan Stanley could be on the hook for hundreds of millions of dollars of losses on the unsecured portion alone, should they attempt to unload it to investors.

Musk later tweeted that “buying Twitter is an accelerant to creating X, the everything app.” Musk has said he wants Twitter to be more like TikTok and WeChat, with many more highly engaged users.

In the run-up to the planned Delaware proceedings, lawyers for both sides have fired cannonades of subpoenas at each other aimed at teasing out testimony and evidence. Musk’s side needed to demonstrate that Twitter violated the terms of the deal. Twitter alleged that Musk used the bots issue as a pretext for backing out a deal he no longer found economically sound.

Musk’s legal team was getting the sense that the case was not going well, as Judge Kathaleen St. J. McCormick sided repeatedly with Twitter in pretrial rulings, according to one person familiar. Even with the late emergence of a Twitter whistleblower who alleged executives weren’t forthcoming on security and bot issues, there were concerns Musk’s side would not be able to prove a material adverse effect, the legal standard required to exit the contract.

Inside Twitter on Tuesday, many employees were sitting through 2023 planning presentations when the news first started to circulate, according to multiple sources. Presenters did not acknowledge the news, which staffers saw spreading on their own social network. Many employees have opposed the idea of working for Musk, who has been openly mocked and criticized on internal Slack channels since the deal was signed.

In an internal memo Tuesday to Twitter staff, viewed by Bloomberg News, General Counsel Sean Edgett thanked workers for their patience as the company works through the legal issues. “I will continue to keep you posted on significant updates,” he wrote. Trading of Twitter shares was halted after the news broke and didn’t resume until after the company confirmed receipt of Musk’s letter.

Twitter shareholders voted September 13 to accept the buyout offer as Musk submitted it. The company said at the time that 98.6% of the votes cast were in favour of the deal. Musk, Twitter’s largest shareholder, didn’t vote at all, according to two people familiar with his decision. Musk owned almost 10% of Twitter — more than 73 million shares — when he agreed to acquire the company.

Musk was scheduled to answer questions about the deal in Austin, Texas, on October 6-7, according to a court filing Tuesday. Twitter Chief Executive Officer Parag Agrawal was scheduled to sit down for his deposition Monday.-moneyweb

author avatar
editor
See Full Bio
Previous Post

Ex-Agribank boss fails to pay N$55m debt

Next Post

MTC invests N$100m in 475km fiber deployment project

Must Read

Bright yellow license plates with large black numbers stacked diagonally in the frame, overlapping each other.
Latest

Govt plans new national standard for vehicle number plates

August 20, 2026
Straight highway through a desert landscape under a blue sky with a few clouds.
Latest

Roads Authority targets N$2.1bn upgrade of nine Oshana roads

August 20, 2026
Smiling woman with a black top and gold jewelry against a dark blue studio backdrop.
Latest

The bankability bridge: Turning Namibia’s economic potential into SME participation

August 18, 2026
Construction workers in high-visibility vests along a dirt road under construction beside a busy highway; muddy tire tracks, piles of soil, and distant hills.
Latest

Auas Road Phase 3 kicks off, targets major expansion over next 12 months

August 18, 2026
Construction-site fence with a Namibian Competition Commission banner in front of a modern brick building; street signs show Marien Ngouabi St and Wisserstraat.
Latest

Namibia’s merger rules out of step with regional peers despite proposed increase

August 17, 2026
Why Namibia urgently needs consumer protection laws on home auctions
Latest

Blood is no longer thicker than water

August 14, 2026
Load More

Related News

Govt keeps fuel prices unchanged

Govt keeps fuel prices unchanged

December 29, 2021
Eurowings Discover Airbus A330 grounded in Windhoek after hard landing

Eurowings Discover Airbus A330 grounded in Windhoek after hard landing

February 28, 2023
Namibia’s vehicle sales surge in January, offering optimistic outlook

Namibia’s vehicle sales surge in January, offering optimistic outlook

February 14, 2024

Browse by Category

  • Africa
  • Agriculture
  • Analysis
  • Business & Economy
  • Columnists
  • Companies
  • Finance
  • Finance
  • Fisheries
  • Green Hydrogen
  • Health
  • Investing
  • Latest
  • Market
  • Mining & Energy
  • namibia
  • Namibia
  • News
  • Opinions
  • Property
  • Retail
  • Technology
  • Tourism
  • Trade
The Brief | Namibia's Leading Business & Financial News

The Brief is Namibia's leading daily business, finance and economic news publication.

CATEGORIES

  • Business & Economy
  • Companies
    • Agriculture
    • Finance
    • Fisheries
    • Health
    • Property
    • Retail
    • Technology
    • Tourism
    • Trade
  • Finance
  • Green Hydrogen
  • Investing
  • Latest
  • Market
  • Mining & Energy
  • namibia
  • News
    • Africa
    • Namibia
  • Opinions
    • Analysis
    • Columnists

CONTACT US

Cell: +264814612969

Email: newsdesk@thebrief.com.na

© 2026 The Brief | All Rights Reserved. Namibian Business News, Current Affairs, Analysis and Commentary

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Companies
  • Mining & Energy
  • Business & Economy
  • Opinions
    • Analysis
    • Columnists
  • Africa

© 2026 The Brief | All Rights Reserved. Namibian Business News, Current Affairs, Analysis and Commentary

This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.