Friday, August 21, 2026
Subscribe
The Brief | Namibia's Leading Business & Financial News
  • Home
  • Companies
    • Finance
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Property
    • Trade
    • Tourism
  • Business & Economy
  • E-PAPERreader
  • Mining & Energy
  • Opinions
    • Analysis
    • Columnists
  • Africa
No Result
View All Result
The Brief | Namibia's Leading Business & Financial News
  • Home
  • Companies
    • Finance
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Property
    • Trade
    • Tourism
  • Business & Economy
  • E-PAPERreader
  • Mining & Energy
  • Opinions
    • Analysis
    • Columnists
  • Africa
No Result
View All Result
The Brief | Namibia's Leading Business & Financial News
Subscribe
No Result
View All Result
Home Latest

TransNamib executives fingered in E&Y report off the hook

by editor
September 30, 2022
in Latest
6
A A

 TransNamib executives and staff who were flagged in a forensic report done by auditing firm Ernst and Young (E&Y) are now off the hook after the Anti-Corruption Commission (ACC) cleared them from any corrupt practices.

However, the corruption watchdog said the national rail operator was dogged by serious administration issues which need to be addressed.

Finance Minister Iipumbu Shiimi told parliament the E&Y report was submitted to ACC, as per section 29 (4), to review and identify if there is any possible corruption or any matter in the report that may fall within the ACC Act.

“The Commission has responded to my office last week and has expressed themselves that after a proper analysis, they did not find any issues raised in the report to be of corrupt practices, or anything that would be under their ambit as the ACC. 

“They have, however, indicated that there are some serious administrative inefficiencies raised in the report that must be taken up by the Board for further investigation and actions,” he said in response to questions posed by NEFF’s parliamentarian Kalimbo Iipumbu, who wanted to know the progress and what action has been taken against those suspected of wrongdoing at TransNamib.

“As a result, my office will identify all the critical issues raised in the report and will request the Board to review the E&Y report and take appropriate action where necessary,” Shiimi said. 

Kalimbo wanted to know when the report would be made public, but Shiimi said the document was an internal matter.

“The report is an internal report to the Ministry and was specifically only for the purposes of clarifying certain matters which have now been done. It is therefore not in the best interest of the organisation to release this report to the public,” he said.

In addition, the NEFF MP wanted an explanation from the minister on what guarantees are in place to ensure that TransNamib will not be troubled by industrial action again.

“MPE as the shareholder ministry of TransNamib does not get involved in wage negotiations or the agreement thereof. However, I met with the three parties involved with the specific aim of mediating and creating an amicable and conducive environment for the Board, Executive and Union to work together. As a Ministry we have faith in the Board and Management of TransNamib, and we are confident that what happened in the recent past will be a learning experience for all stakeholders,” the minister said.

Shiimi said TransNamib still has financial challenges and legacy challenges were being addressed.

“The company has also put in place a short-term plan to address and improve the current operating conditions. This is currently done through the current financial support from the government for this financial year whilst the company is working towards the implementation of its Integrated Strategic Business Plan,” he said.

 

The national railway operator is currently incurring a N$10 million monthly loss due to delays in securing funding for its Integrated Strategic Business Plan (ISBP), is disposing its non-core properties around the country as it seeks to raise at least N$2.5 billion needed for the implementation of its turnaround plan.

TransNamib’s strategic plan had hoped to make a financial breakthrough in 2023, attaining a trustworthy customer experience by transporting three million metric tonnes of cargo by 2023.

The company, which is banking on a Development Bank of Namibia and Development Bank of South credit facility to fund its turnaround strategy to the tune of N$2.6 billion, has blamed its precarious financial position on salary increases and benefits awarded to staff over the years despite accumulated losses amounting to over N$4 billion for the 2010-2017 period.

author avatar
editor
See Full Bio
Previous Post

Building the case for financial education in Namibia

Next Post

Namibia’s current account deficit deteriorates in Q2

Must Read

Bright yellow license plates with large black numbers stacked diagonally in the frame, overlapping each other.
Latest

Govt plans new national standard for vehicle number plates

August 20, 2026
Straight highway through a desert landscape under a blue sky with a few clouds.
Latest

Roads Authority targets N$2.1bn upgrade of nine Oshana roads

August 20, 2026
Smiling woman with a black top and gold jewelry against a dark blue studio backdrop.
Latest

The bankability bridge: Turning Namibia’s economic potential into SME participation

August 18, 2026
Construction workers in high-visibility vests along a dirt road under construction beside a busy highway; muddy tire tracks, piles of soil, and distant hills.
Latest

Auas Road Phase 3 kicks off, targets major expansion over next 12 months

August 18, 2026
Construction-site fence with a Namibian Competition Commission banner in front of a modern brick building; street signs show Marien Ngouabi St and Wisserstraat.
Latest

Namibia’s merger rules out of step with regional peers despite proposed increase

August 17, 2026
Why Namibia urgently needs consumer protection laws on home auctions
Latest

Blood is no longer thicker than water

August 14, 2026
Load More

Related News

Letshego appoints Cornelius Kamerika as Regional Manager for Central and Southern Namibia

Letshego appoints Cornelius Kamerika as Regional Manager for Central and Southern Namibia

June 3, 2025
China and Namibia national flags flying on flagpoles above a city skyline in the background.

China commits N$245m to Namibia smart city project

July 8, 2026
Eos Capital buys into Namibia Berries, project to expand beyond 500 hectares

Eos Capital buys into Namibia Berries, project to expand beyond 500 hectares

August 27, 2024

Browse by Category

  • Africa
  • Agriculture
  • Analysis
  • Business & Economy
  • Columnists
  • Companies
  • Finance
  • Finance
  • Fisheries
  • Green Hydrogen
  • Health
  • Investing
  • Latest
  • Market
  • Mining & Energy
  • Namibia
  • namibia
  • News
  • Opinions
  • Property
  • Retail
  • Technology
  • Tourism
  • Trade
The Brief | Namibia's Leading Business & Financial News

The Brief is Namibia's leading daily business, finance and economic news publication.

CATEGORIES

  • Business & Economy
  • Companies
    • Agriculture
    • Finance
    • Fisheries
    • Health
    • Property
    • Retail
    • Technology
    • Tourism
    • Trade
  • Finance
  • Green Hydrogen
  • Investing
  • Latest
  • Market
  • Mining & Energy
  • namibia
  • News
    • Africa
    • Namibia
  • Opinions
    • Analysis
    • Columnists

CONTACT US

Cell: +264814612969

Email: newsdesk@thebrief.com.na

© 2026 The Brief | All Rights Reserved. Namibian Business News, Current Affairs, Analysis and Commentary

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Companies
  • Mining & Energy
  • Business & Economy
  • Opinions
    • Analysis
    • Columnists
  • Africa

© 2026 The Brief | All Rights Reserved. Namibian Business News, Current Affairs, Analysis and Commentary

This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.