Friday, August 21, 2026
Subscribe
The Brief | Namibia's Leading Business & Financial News
  • Home
  • Companies
    • Finance
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Property
    • Trade
    • Tourism
  • Business & Economy
  • E-PAPERreader
  • Mining & Energy
  • Opinions
    • Analysis
    • Columnists
  • Africa
No Result
View All Result
The Brief | Namibia's Leading Business & Financial News
  • Home
  • Companies
    • Finance
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Property
    • Trade
    • Tourism
  • Business & Economy
  • E-PAPERreader
  • Mining & Energy
  • Opinions
    • Analysis
    • Columnists
  • Africa
No Result
View All Result
The Brief | Namibia's Leading Business & Financial News
Subscribe
No Result
View All Result
Home Companies Property

Only 3 of 21 Mass Housing sites see partial progress across Namibia

by editor
October 7, 2024
in Property
11
A A

The government’s Mass Housing Development Programme (MHDP) across Namibia is facing major delays, with only three out of 21 project sites showing any progress, though these remain uncompleted.

During a recent familiarisation visit to the newly initiated Otjomuise Extension 10, Minister of Urban and Rural Development Erastus Uutoni reported that the project currently has 362 uncompleted units.

Additionally, Opuwo has 24 uncompleted houses, while Swakopmund, which previously had 505 uncompleted units, now has 186 remaining after 319 were completed between October 2022 and June 2023. 

“Out of the total of 21 sites across the country where the Mass Housing projects were implemented, only three sites have commenced-but-uncompleted houses. These are this site (Otjomuise Extension 10) with 362 uncompleted houses; Opuwo with 24 uncompleted housing units and Swakopmund which now only has 186 uncompleted houses,” he said.

This comes after, the government under the leadership of former president Hifikepunye  Pohamba, reaffirmed its unwavering commitment towards scaling up the provision of affordable housing when the  Cabinet adopted the MHDP Blueprint in 2013.

A total of 21 sites were selected in the various regions of the country, mainly the regional capitals, where projects under the MHDP were to be implemented.

The Minister noted that the appointment of a contractor to complete the 24 houses at Opuwo is at an advanced stage, and work is expected to start during this financial year.

“Efforts are also being made to resolve the dispute, which will allow the appointment of a contractor to complete the remaining 186 housing units at Swakopmund,” he noted. 

Meanwhile, regarding the Otjomuise project, “work resumed on 1May this year and is due for Practical Completion over 12 months, scheduled for 1 June 2025. I am truly delighted that work on this project has resumed after a long halt, and it is my sincere hope that this project will not be the last one to be completed”.

Uutoni noted that the completed houses will be allocated and occupied by the beneficiaries who will be selected based on the waiting list of NHE and the Windhoek Municipality on a first-come-first-served basis.

“I wish to take this platform to urge the contractor, the principal agent and my Executive Director and his team which includes officials from the Ministry of Works and Transport to ensure that this project remains on course and its completion is expedited where possible,” he said.

The Minister recognised that at times the houses that were being constructed including under the first phase of the Programme were not affordable to all the needy, especially the low-income groups.

This comes as the government’s revised National Housing Policy, approved last year, aims to increase funding and investment in land and housing for low-income groups, establishing a housing subsidy and provisions for various housing programmes. 

Meanwhile, projects like the Windhoek Informal Settlement Upgrading Affordable Housing Project are underway, encouraging uniformed members to register with the Municipality and the National Housing Enterprise (NHE). 

Uutoni said the policy emphasises local authorities’ roles in delivering at least 5,000 new houses and 6,500 residential plots annually.

He further noted that the government alone will not be able to address the housing shortage in the country.

“This requires a team effort in the spirit of Harambee, where the government, the private sector and civic society are working together and pulling in the same direction. In this regard, initiatives such as Public-Private Partnerships (PPPs) are commendable but only if the houses are affordable to the people, hence PPPs should be positively understood that the aim is not to make exorbitant profits draining the pockets of the poor,” he said.

author avatar
editor
See Full Bio
Previous Post

76% of Namibians now have access to healthcare facilities

Next Post

NUST appoints Corporate Communications and Marketing Manager

Must Read

Windhoek approves N$1.7 billion building plans in six months
Property

Real estate, retail dominate Namibia’s merger activity over past 16 years

August 20, 2026
Windhoek approves 186 building plans worth N$486.5m in October
Property

Windhoek building plan approvals rise to N$203.2m in July

August 19, 2026
Lawmakers call for NIDA’s reintegration into Ministry
Property

Govt yet to approve transfer of 56 NIDA properties to PAMA

August 18, 2026
Exterior view of Buchter Mall with modern curved entrances, palm trees, and a clear blue sky; parking lot in foreground.
Property

Safland’s Lüderitz mall targets October 2027 opening with Shoprite as anchor tenant

August 14, 2026
Group of eight people on a stage holding certificates at an awards event, smiling for the camera.
Latest

FNB honours Namibia’s leading real estate agencies and realtors

August 14, 2026
Red and white 'For Sale' sign on a white post in front of a modern house with a concrete driveway.
Property

Namibia’s average house price hits N$1.46 million

August 14, 2026
Load More

Related News

Stay alert for online and phone scams this festive season

Stay alert for online and phone scams this festive season

December 2, 2025
Standard Bank posts N$556.9m six-month profit, up 10%

Standard Bank Namibia revises pricing to lower SME and retail banking costs

January 6, 2026
Namibia fuel prices set to drop in June

Fuel price hikes lifts Namibia’s inflation to five-month high

June 11, 2026

Browse by Category

  • Africa
  • Agriculture
  • Analysis
  • Business & Economy
  • Columnists
  • Companies
  • Finance
  • Finance
  • Fisheries
  • Green Hydrogen
  • Health
  • Investing
  • Latest
  • Market
  • Mining & Energy
  • Namibia
  • namibia
  • News
  • Opinions
  • Property
  • Retail
  • Technology
  • Tourism
  • Trade
The Brief | Namibia's Leading Business & Financial News

The Brief is Namibia's leading daily business, finance and economic news publication.

CATEGORIES

  • Business & Economy
  • Companies
    • Agriculture
    • Finance
    • Fisheries
    • Health
    • Property
    • Retail
    • Technology
    • Tourism
    • Trade
  • Finance
  • Green Hydrogen
  • Investing
  • Latest
  • Market
  • Mining & Energy
  • namibia
  • News
    • Africa
    • Namibia
  • Opinions
    • Analysis
    • Columnists

CONTACT US

Cell: +264814612969

Email: newsdesk@thebrief.com.na

© 2026 The Brief | All Rights Reserved. Namibian Business News, Current Affairs, Analysis and Commentary

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Companies
  • Mining & Energy
  • Business & Economy
  • Opinions
    • Analysis
    • Columnists
  • Africa

© 2026 The Brief | All Rights Reserved. Namibian Business News, Current Affairs, Analysis and Commentary

This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.